Larry has extensive experience as a leadership and management coach, facilitator and program designer. He works with leadership teams and individual executives to help them improve their capabilities in people management, team leadership, communication, managing and leading performance and leading change.
Larry is the founder and lead partner of the Frontline Management Institute which has developed thousands of managers and leaders through coaching and facilitation over the last 20 years. Larry works with people at all levels of management from aspiring leaders to CEO’s and their teams.
Larry has worked in senior management roles for businesses in publishing and production. He was a Senior Lecturer in Learning and Development at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS).
As a writer of documentary films he has received many awards, including the prestigious AWGIE Award for best Documentary. Based in Australia, he has a strong interest in and connections in Asia, and was co-founder of the Asian Arts Institute of Australia.
His early studies at Cambridge University focused on psychology which has formed the foundation for his teachings and his extensive writings on leadership.
Areas of Expertise
- Practical Leadership Skills
- Managing people
- Leadership effectiveness
- Performance issues
- Leading change
- Difficult conversations
- Time management and work organisation
Business Background and Experience
After graduating, Larry worked as an Editor for a film encyclopaedia before joining the International Publishing Corporation where he was trained over several years as a manager working in HR, Production and Sales becoming Northern Assistant General Manager responsible for the production and distribution of over 1,000,000 newspapers a night.
He then took postgraduate qualifications at London University and moved into education, focusing on workplace based learning in which he became a Senior Lecturer at UTS.
Moving to his own organisation, the Frontline Management Institute, Larry leads a team of coaches and trainers who specialise in designing and delivering workplace based tailored coaching and training.
Larry takes a very practical and flexible approach to coaching that is needs driven rather than theory based. Coaching begins with clear identification and discussion of goals and aspirations with coachee and organisational sponsor.
The needs identified are prioritised by the client. A range of approaches are then used to develop capabilities from straightforward skill development to analysing the psychology which will support their leadership approach.
The focus is always upon applying approaches to leadership in the workplace; reviewing what happens and working towards improvements.
Larry is an experienced facilitator of leaders and managers and makes learning interesting and rewarding. The focus is upon practical application of management skills and Larry draws upon the experience of leaders and helps them lift their own performance and the performance of their team.
Bachelor of Arts (Cambridge University)
Master of Arts (Cambridge University)
Postgraduate Certificate of Education with Distinction (London University)
Certificate of Vocational Teaching (ITATE)
Diploma of Leadership and Management (FMI)
Diploma of Learning and Development (FMI)
Sample Client Engagements
- CEO and Leadership Team, Property Management – the organisation is very successful and growing rapidly. As acquisitions are made there is a need to standardise the way work is done. Managers are very skilled but tend to carry out complex tasks themselves rather than delegate to their team. Working over an 18 month contract the aim is to develop strong practical management skills in the team and also to enable team members to learn further through carrying out improvement projects on the business.
- Managers in Luxury Goods Store – designed program to enable managers in high level quality boutiques to upgrade professional people management approaches. The program was highly successful and a follow up programs have been requested by the client to carry on the skills development.
- General Manager, State Government – The GM wanted to develop ways of training new and aspiring team leaders to take on their role successfully. A pilot Open Learning Program was developed with the GM to evaluate the effectiveness of Open Learning as an approach.
- CEO Catering Healthcare – a non-profit organisation provided large scale catering for residential homes. The CEO was concerned that the management team were not effectively delegating and coaching team members. A program was designed and delivered to successfully change behaviours of the management team.
- Graduate Program, Construction Industry – A large international organisation wanted to develop some 30 Graduate Trainees a year in core management skills to ensure they became future leaders of the organisation. The program involved 5 days of training a year over three years. Larry designed and tailored the program in partnership with the key managers and led the team delivering the program. The program was very successful and ran for 15 years. Many of the graduates moved to senior positions in the organisation aided by the learning they had gained.